Get your california drivers licensestep-by-step guide
A safe and simple way to obtain your license with just one all-inclusive package.
Get your learners permit
Make an appointment with your local DMV office for the knowledge exam.
What you need for this DMV appointment:
- Driver’s License Application (DL44) Form completely filled out with both parents’ signatures.
- Certificate of completion of drivers’ education
- Proof of CA residency
- Social Security Number
- $35 application fee (no credit cards accepted)
- Take a vision test and have your photo taken
- Study for the knowledge exam – use the California Driver Handbook as a guide.
If you have all of the above necessary items and you pass the written test, you will be given a permit. NOTE: Your permit will not become valid until you have had your first 2 hours of behind-the-wheel training.
Enroll in behind-the-wheel training and start learning the ropes of driving.
- Begin your behind-the-wheel training course – the state of CA requires 6 hours of professional, licensed driver training.
- Begin driving with your parents. State requirements are 50+ hours of supervised driving, including 10 hours at night.
TAKE THE DRIVING TEST
When you have completed all of the above and have had a permit for a minimum of 6 months and are at least 16 years old, you may make an appointment to take the final driver’s license test.
What to bring to the DMV for your CA Driver’s License Test:
- Original Completion Certificate for Driver’s Training (Teen Road to Safety will provide this)
- Original Learner’s Permit
- Proof of vehicle registration and insurance
- A parent or guardian