- Complete Drivers Ed Online or Classroom and receive certificate of completion
- Enroll in Behind the Wheel training and obtain proof of enrollment.NOTE: As of January 2004, the CA DMV requires all minors to show proof of enrollment in a drivers training program with a licensed, professional driving school to be eligible for a a CA learners permit.
- Fill out the drivers license application form DL44 and have both parents/guardians sign the form. The DL44 form cannot be obtained online as it must be an original, signed form.Teen Road to Safety will provide you with proof of enrollment AND the form DL44 as soon as you register for the Behind the Wheel courses.
- Make an appointment with your local DMV office for the written permit test.What you need for this DMV appointment:
- Drivers License Application Form DL44 with both parents signatures andcompletely
- If you have all of the above necessary items and you pass the written test, you will be given a permit. NOTE: Your permit will not become valid until you have had your first 2 hours of Behind the Wheel Training.
- Begin your Behind the Wheel Training Course – CA State required 6 hours of professional, licensed drivers training course.
- Begin driving with your parents. State requirements are 50 hours of supervised driving including 10 at night.
- When you have completed all of the above, you may make an appointment to take the final drivers license test.
- What to bring to DMV for your CA Driver’s License Test:- Original Completion Certificate for Driver’s Training (Teen Road to Safety will provide this)
– Original Learners Permit
– Have proof of auto insurance with you or you will not be allowed to take the test!
Register for Class
Testimonials“I am writing this letter on behalf of Mr. Dan Mulrenin. It with my extreme pleasure, that I highly recommend him to come in and share his vast knowledge in your class. Mr. Mulrenin has come to my classes over the past year to present a very crucial and serious topic, driver safety. Upon our first meeting, his professionalism and passion to present driver safety was very evident from his first delivery. After having listened to Dan present in multiple classes, I was thoroughly impressed with his professionalism and delivery. Driver education and safety is a very serious subject. He is a master his trade.
Along with his almost three decades of police work and on the scene experience, Dan brings life lessons home through various tools and modalities. Mr. Mulrenin is a great teacher who keeps his audience captivated and focused on the potential pitfalls of driving.
In summary, it is with my extreme pleasure to recommend Mr. Mulrenin to come in and share with your class. I give him my highest recommendation. You will not be disappointed.
by Michael Bargas, M.Ed
Estancia High School, Health Teacher, Head Football Coach